Monday, April 30, 2007

New Laptop

I just order a new laptop Inspiron 6400 from DELL. My current laptop Inspiron 600m is making me feeling both frustrating and insecure as I approach the completion of my candidature. Since I bought the 650m, I have formatted the laptop at least 6 times, twice in the 2005, once in 2006 and thrice recently. Some of the problems and limitations I encountered:

1. Blue screen
This occur several times when my hard disc has physical error in it. I replaced my hard disc last year. Afte current reformat, I encountered twice again.

2. Network, Start-up and Battery charging problem
This was the most frustrating problem of which I had problem with start-up which was suprising related to network as well. The battery failed to charge as well. I have to reformat the laptop to fix the problem. That's the start of the thrice re-format saga recently.

3. The F4 key was broken, making Alt-F4 is so inefficient now.

4. Bought a new RAM last year because the laptop was too slow for computations.

5. Bought a new battery last year because the original one failed. I discarded it before DELL announced for a recall.

6. No DVD burner and I had to transfer and burn off another pc. It's also terribly frustrating and time-consuming doing data back-up.

I have chosen a laptop again because my future career would most probably depend on a laptop rather than a desktop. The new laptop will be 1.73GHz Core 2 Duo processor with XP Pro., 1Gb SDRAM and 160Gb Hard drive. Of course it would have a DVD burner and I dont have to borrow my bro's pc/laptop or sis's desktop to burn backups. I didn't upgrade my graphics card and settle for the default because it was expensive and probably wouldn't make much different for just video watching. It would be more of a concern for online gamer like my bro. I initially intended for the 640m model since it's smaller and lighter but my bro called me stupid for choosing a small screen laptop which is similar to my 600m. There goes my $1408.

P/S: How should I ultilize my 160Gb space? Probably 3 partitions of 60-50-50.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh...this is the problem with laptops - they seem to have a lifespan of only 2-3 years...

My own 3-year old laptop has had it's hard disk changed 4 times in the last 12 months, the screen hinges are coming out, and the battery is dead.

Although laptops are getting cheaper nowadays, it still sucks to have a $1K+ machine die so quickly.

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you're getting a great machine there Fisherman. Hopefully you have better luck with this laptop.

I got my little brother a laptop last summer, and the powersupply already blew.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had a laptop :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home